Defensive Shotgun Class
The shotgun is one of the most effective and versatile weapons available to for self-defense. It is also the least understood and most under-utilized weapon system.
You will learn from certified instructors in how to carefully select, feed and operate the defensive shotgun for optimum effectiveness.
All AVGC firearms training classes and matches are open to the public.
The gate will be unlocked and open when you arrive and will be locked shortly after the event or class starts.
Please arrive on time or early.
This intensive one-day course will teach you efficient techniques for handling and shooting the shotgun under stressful conditions.
This is an advanced course. You must have taken the NRA Basics of Shotgun Shooting class.
Topics Covered Include
- Firearm safety
- Defensive mindset & use of force
- Selection of the defensive shotgun
- Ammunition selection and capabilities
- Patterning for optimum performance
- Nomenclature and mechanical operation
- Shooting technique & recoil management
- Loading/reloading & malfunction skills
- Safe storage and access considerations
- Care and maintenance
- Defensive Shotgun
- Eye & Ear protection
- Shell bag – Or some method for keeping roughly 25 shells on your person at any one time, preferably with a dump pouch or shell pouch that can be worn on the belt.
- Ammunition – Minimum of 50 rounds of LEAD birdshot (#4 or #6 Shot), 25 rounds of buckshot, plus an additional 10 rounds of good quality buckshot you would consider for personal/home defense.
- Pen & paper for note taking
- Closed toed shoes are required
- No scoop neck or V-neck shirts are allowed
- Bring a baseball style hat
Bring a sack lunch. There is not enough time to leave during lunch. We provide bottled water. Soda and snacks are available for 1.00 each. We have a microwave available in the classroom.
This is an advanced course. To take this course you must have taken the NRA Basics of Shotgun Shooting course.
NO FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION ARE ALLOWED IN THE CLASSROOM. THIS INCLUDES CCW and LEO. NO EXCEPTIONS! Leave your firearm and ammunition secured in your locked vehicle until an instructor directs you to retrieve it.
California law requires you to transport your firearm UNLOADED in a locked case.
Classes, training and/or certification are for individuals who are not disqualified from possessing a firearm as defined by applicable federal, state or local laws. Individuals who have been convicted of a crime of violence are disqualified. Student must be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident with a Green Card in compliance with U.S. Federal ITAR Regulations.
Online registration only. No walk-ins will be allowed.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at email@example.com